Summer so far has been a little unpredictable. We started off in June with a trip to west Texas to visit my parents, and came back to a car where the A/C had stopped working, a garbage disposal that was leaking, and a fridge that had stopped running. (At least we could catch the fridge, right? Ha ha). But thanks to a trustworthy mechanic, a good friend with an extra fridge, and a Lowe’s card for disposal emergencies, we managed to get it all taken care of without too much crying or gnashing of teeth. (On a side note, did you know the life expectancy of a fridge is about 28 years?)
So although that one week of June wasn’t much fun, we have had plenty of other wonderful summer moments. My top six in no particular order would be:
1. Hanging out with my parents, brother and sister-in-law in the Great American Desert. The six-hour drive isn’t much fun, and the scenery ain’t that great, but the company is always awesome. I think that the people in west Texas have to be friendly to each other, because that’s all they have.
2. Coming home from a long trip to this:
3. Hanging out at the lake with friends.
4. Celebrating the fourth of July and our fifth wedding anniversary. We get fireworks on our anniversary every year, guaranteed. How about you?
5. Spending most nights relaxing under the big tree. We’ve had several days of nice summer weather which makes it even better. By nice I mean highs in the low 90s or upper 80s. That sure beats the 100+ days we usually get.
6. Checking out the old train cars in our local railroad museum. I’m a history nerd and even have a master’s in museum science (don’t laugh. There is a science to it.) So when my parents and I saw the cars were open on our way to let my son play in the park, I was stoked. You can almost hear the conversation of the strangers on the train…
Bonus best moment – an awesome 80′s party! I think all parties should play only 80′s music. It’s the most fun to dance to and nobody cares how foolish they look. Cuz it’s fun!
Speaking of awesome 80′s music, and summer nights…
This post was inspired by Mama Kat’s writing prompt 4). List your top 6 favorite summer moments so far.